25 April 2009

Anzac Biscuits


This year I baked my first batch of Anzac Biscuits (thanks PaisleyJade) in memory of the mothers who had to send their sons away. Mothers who heard about the terrible conditions their boys were enduring, the terrible food they were eating. Mothers whose ingenuity produced a healthy, delicious recipe that would journey well to the other side of the world, to sustain their precious boys.


INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup plain flour
1/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup coconut
3/4 cup rolled oats
50g butter {online measurement converter}
1 tablespoon golden syrup
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons boiling water

As I mixed my bikkies I could so imagine that the secret ingredient that went into them was Love. Along with the method, here's what I imagined those WWI mothers were thinking as they mixed their bikkies...

  • Mix together the flour, sugar, oats and coconut... (oh my sweet Jimmy will be getting these biscuits)...

  • Melt the butter and golden syrup... (he will hold these biscuits in his precious hands...)

  • Mix the baking soda with the boiling water... (he'll put these biscuits in his mouth; they'll be inside him...)
  • Stir into the melted butter... (oh I do so pray these will find him well...!)


  • Combine and mix well. Place dessertspoonsful on cold greased trays and bake for 15 minutes at 180oC. (Come back to me Jimmy. Come back in one piece!) 

Ah, well that's what I was imagining anyway. It's the mother in me.
xx
 
ANZAC stands for Australian New Zealand Army Corps. Anzac Day has been celebrated since 1916; the numbers of people travelling to Gallipoli in Turkey and attending Dawn Services on Anzac Day are steadily climbing. The younger generation has not forgotten.


FOLLOW ME ON Facebook // Twitter // Instagram // Bloglovin //

No comments:

Post a Comment