05 November 2009

Mmmmm... Pikelets


You may not have heard of pikelets before if you're not from DownUnder - pikelets are essentially sweet mini-pancakes. They are a recent favourite with my kids for after-school snacks and baking experiments. Seems whenever they go somewhere else for a playdate, they get dished up Pikelets, so we had to have a go making them ourselves.

It's yucky rainy weather here and we all need a pick-me-up after a blah day. So as soon as I post this, I am off to whip up a batch for the hungry hordes...


INGREDIENTS:
1 cup plain Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 Egg
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/4 cup Sugar
1 cup Milk (approx)

METHOD:
  • Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Stir sugar through.
  • Break the egg into dry ingredients and stir through with a fork until well mixed. 
  • Add milk and mix until just combined.
  • Drop 2-3 Tablespoonsful of mixture at a time, onto a hot lightly greased frypan.
  • Turn the pikelets over when bubbles start to burst on the surface. Cook the second side until golden. 
  • Makes 10-12.

FAVOURITE TOPPINGS: 
Butter and Sprinkles. When the pikelets have cooled, spread with butter and dip into a saucer of 100s & 1000s. Irresistible to littlies, all those rainbow colours. Great for birthday parties too!
Cream and Jam: Spread with jam then plop a dollop of whipped cream on top = delicous!

TOP TIP: to avoid burning, once the pan is hot, turn the ring down to medium. Also you may need to keep adding a little butter to keep the pan greased (depending on how good your frypan is!)


FOLLOW ME ON Facebook // Twitter // Instagram // Bloglovin //

9 comments:

PaisleyJade said...

I looooove pikelets - cute pics too.

The wife of bold said...

mmmm...thses sound yummy, i think i'll have to try these on my girls :)

Tracy DeLuca said...

ummm.... never heard of them. They look similar to silver dollar pancakes, yes?

Came over to visit from MBC and will be back!

Linda B said...

Look how long your girl's hair is! Yippee! (Still have those 2 jumpers ) We need to have a catch up - how about Thursday lunch here?

Handmade Cute said...

Hi! I'm visiting from MBC. I love your blog and what great photos. Those pikelets sound yummy and easy to make. I'll have to try it!

SnoWhite said...

sounds fun! I've never heard of them.

alicia said...

I love that you are always sharing things I've never heard of... what a fun way to expand my repetoire. And these sound delish. Thanks so much for joining up. Sorry I've been MIA with kids click. LIFE!!! And we are heading out for a while for a vaca too.

Anonymous said...

Yummy and adorable :)

Hannah said...

How fun, I have never heard of these before but I know my little men will probably love these! I am a new follower from Tasty Tuesdays!

http://ourhappyhomeblog.blogspot.com

Post a Comment